Cascade College Records
This collection includes correspondence, reports, minutes, catalogs, event brochures and programs, chapel lectures, newsletters, yearbooks, and manuals from faculty, the Board of Trustees, librarian, student body, and alumni of Cascade College and its parent institutions.
- 1918-1976, bulk 1918-1969
- Majority of material found within 1918 - 1969
Restrictions on access
Collection is available for research.
Cascade College was established in 1918 as the North Pacific Evangelistic Institute in Portland, Oregon, to provide "a formal course of training, under spiritual leaders, in preparation for full-time Christian service," (Sophia E. Townsend, 1957, Our History booklet, p. 1). Although the initial inspiration for the school came from Miss Lurana Terrell and Mr. Lewis I. Hadley, both local Quaker pastors, the mission of the founders was ecumenical from the beginning. The name of the Institute was changed in 1929 to Portland Bible Institute to better reflect the location of the school. Hard financial times during the 1930s "when denominations were raising their standards for ministerial training, and the missionary societies were asking candidates to have a college degree," (Townsend, p. 22) prompted the Board of Trustees to apply to the State Board of Education to become a college. Approval was granted in 1940 and the school became Cascade College. The college faced financial challenges through the 1960s. In 1969, after its fifty-first graduation, "the board chose to merge student bodies with Seattle Pacific College because it shares the Cascade religious outlook..." (Oregon Journal, April 23, 1969, p. 4). Some college records were transferred to George Fox College, Newberg, Oregon, because of long-standing Quaker ties with faculty, administration, and board members.
4 Cubic Feet (3 record boxes, 24 bound volumes)
Language of Materials
Cascade College was established in 1918 as the North Pacific Evangelistic Institute in Portland, Oregon. The name of the Institute was changed in 1929 to Portland Bible Institute, then became Cascade College in 1940. This collection contains correspondence, newsletters, yearbooks, and other documents from various boards, committees and student groups.
- Cascade College Records
- Zoie Clark
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Sponsored by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Part of the George Fox University and Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends Archives Repository
416 North Meridian Street
Newberg Oregon 97132 U.S.A.