Western Evangelical Seminary Records
Western Evangelical Seminary Records include institutional records and publications as follows: reports, charts and lists, minutes, correspondence, applications, handbooks, pamphlets, directories, yearbooks, newsletters, some presidental records, and bylaws pertaining to the creation of the seminary until its merger with George Fox University. Board of Trustees reports; developmental materials; proposed academic program materials; the publications: Kardia, Alumni Mantle, The Evergreen; Federal Tax Grants for Title III and Title IX; self-study reports; written histories; and negatives of the Jennings Lodge campus and building interiors of the late 1980s comprise the collection.
- Majority of material found within 1984 - 1999
- Western Evangelical Seminary (Creator, Organization)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on access
Conditions Governing Use
George Fox University owns the copyright to some, but not all, of the materials housed in its archives. Copyright for materials authored or otherwise produced as official business of George Fox University is retained by George Fox University and requires its permission for publication. Copyright status for other collection materials varies. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Western Evangelical Seminary formed as a corporation in May 1945 when 131 ministers and laymen met to establish an institution united under an interdemoninational commitment to the Wesleyan-Arminian tradition. The corporation formed originally under the name Western School of Evangelical Religion and was supported by the following denominations who supplied members for the Board of Regents of the new institution: Church of the Nazarene, Evangelical United Brethren Church, Free Methodist Church, Oregon Yearly Meeting of Friends Church, and Wesleyan Church. First classes were held in September 1947, on the Jennings Lodge Campground near Milwaukie, Oregon. Accreditation through the American Association of Theological Schools, Berkeley, California, came in the early 1950s. Western Evangelical Seminary became the official name in July 1951 and at the same time land was purchased nearby the site that provided classroom and administrative space until the campus was moved to a location near Tigard, Oregon in the early 1990s. The seminary was acquired by George Fox University in 1996 while maintaining representation on the board from the Evangelical Church, the Free Methodist Church, and the Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends Church. In 2000 the Board of Regents of Western Evangelical Seminary officially changed the name to George Fox Seminary.
36.75 Cubic Feet (62 archives boxes, 5 record boxes, 2 document boxes)
Western Evangelical Seminary formed as a corporation in May 1945 to establish an institution united under an interdenominational commitment to the Wesleyan-Arminian tradition. The collection includes institutional records and publications pertaining to the creation of the seminary until its merger with George Fox University.
- American Association of Theological Schools -- Archives
- Church of the Nazarene -- History-Sources
- Colleges and Universities
- Evangelical United Brethren Church -- History-Sources
- Free Methodist Church -- History-Sources
- George Fox University -- Administration
- Oregon Yearly Meeting of Friends Church -- History-Sources
- Wesleyan Church (Other) -- History-Sources
- Western Evangelical Seminary Records
- Zoie Clark/Rachel Thomas/Britta Stewart
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Sponsored by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
- Edition statement
- Third Edition- compiling all WES accessions
Part of the George Fox University and Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends Archives Repository
416 North Meridian Street
Newberg Oregon 97132 U.S.A.