This artificial collection contains an assortment of brochures, newspapers, newspaper clippings, souvenir magazines, minutes, maps, written histories, and legal documents relating to the community of Newberg, Oregon. There are also some references to the surrounding communities of Springbrook, Chehalem Center, and Dundee. Documents and photos reflect observations and scenes of the community from the late 1880s forward. Focus is on city government, churches and schools, early residences and commercial sites, celebrations of historic events and places. The collection includes several vintage photographs of panoramic views of the city and valley.
1850-1991, bulk 1881-1991
Majority of material found within 1881 - 1991
Restrictions on access
Collection is available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
George Fox University owns the copyright to some, but not all, of the materials housed in its archives. Copyright for materials authored or otherwise produced as official business of George Fox University is retained by George Fox University and requires its permission for publication. Copyright status for other collection materials varies. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The city of Newberg, Oregon, is located in the Chehalem Valley on the banks of the Willamette River. The first postmaster of the territory opened shop in 1869 and named the town after his hometown Bavaria. In the 1870s the site was chosen by eastern Quaker William Hobson who wanted to start a settlement where he could grow fruit. Civic responsibility promoted education and a "dry town" when Prohibition was the focus of many in the late nineteenth century; and the ban on alcohol was to last well into the 1970s. Pacific College (now George Fox University) was established by the Quakers in Newberg in 1891.
5 Cubic Feet (2 record boxes; 69 folders; 10 oversize items; and digital photographs)
Language of Materials