Skip to main content

Hobson Family Collection

 Collection — Box: MSB0009
Identifier: MS-19

Content description

This collection consists of biographies of William Hobson, a microfilm of his diary, a transcript of "Memories of Samuel Hobson", William's son, a handwritten journal of William Hobson, and photographs. Also included are periodicals containing William Hobson's writings, a tribute to his life by associates at a gathering of Friends Yearly Meeting, and some unrelated materials concerned with the early Newberg community.


  • 1888-1968
  • Majority of material found within 1888 - 1968

Restrictions on Access

Collection is available for research.

Conditions Governing Use

George Fox University owns the copyright to some, but not all, of the materials housed in its archives. Copyright for materials authored or otherwise produced as official business of George Fox University is retained by George Fox University and requires its permission for publication. Copyright status for other collection materials varies. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Biographical Note

William Hobson, 1820-1891, is credited with bringing Quakers to Newberg, Oregon, in the 1870s, a settlement that he chose because of its location along a well-traveled route and its promise of agricultural productivity. Although he was not the first Friends minister to migrate to Oregon, he devoted time and effort inviting Eastern Friends to immigrate to Yamhill County where future descendents would "form a settlement here and make it a garden of the Lord." Mr. Hobson and other early settlers, concerned about lack of education in the northwestern United States, established Pacific Friends Academy in 1885. The first Quaker meeting house was built in Newberg, in 1875, and the city is now the hub for Evangelical Quakers of the northwest.


0.5 Cubic Feet ( 1 document box)

Language of Materials



William Hobson is credited with bringing Quakers to Newberg, Oregon, in the 1870s. This collection consists of biographies of William Hobson, his handwritten journal, and a transcript of his son Samuel's "Memories of Samuel Hobson", and other materials related to the early settlement of the area.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Collection contains some very fragile materials.


Eric Hobson


No accruals are expected.
Guide to the Hobson Family Collection
Zoie Clark
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Sponsored by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission

Repository Details

Part of the George Fox University and Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends Archives Repository

416 North Meridian Street
Newberg Oregon 97132 U.S.A.